2012-11-02

Farewell to an Android Tablet Computer

In spite of my initial enthusiasm with an Android tablet computer I bought in July 2011, I found myself using it less and less, until I decided recently to give it away to someone else who showed an interest in it. My disillusionment and dissatisfaction with it concern both its software and hardware.

As a satisfied user of Windows since Windows 2000, which met my needs in multilingual computing for the first time, I find Android far inferior to Windows as an operating system in many ways. My biggest frustration with it is that though it does support input in multiple languages, you have to choose only one and cannot switch between several languages. I am also bothered by the fact that Android is integrated too much with Google Account. And many applications working on this platform are not so sophisticated as those for Windows, though there are exceptions. In short, Android is not for serious computing.

I also find it very inconvenient to have to have two separate devices, that is, a tablet computer and a laptop computer, especially if they run on two different operating systems. In my opinion Windows 8 offers a much more convenient ecosystem than what is offered by Android (only for tablet computers) and Apple (two separate operating systems for tablet and laptop computers). Windows 8 can be installed both in a tablet computer and in a laptop computer. This is a big advantage, which in turn opens the way to devices that can be both.

What I find the most appealing way to do so in hardware is the so-called hybrid computer; it is essentially a laptop computer, but it can also become a tablet computer if its keyboard is detached. Many computer manufacturers have announced their plans for such hybrid computers running on Windows 8, but as of now, only a few weeks after its official release, many of them have not been sold yet. I am most curious about Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro among all the hybrid computers that have been announced so far.