2019-07-19

Reflections during the First Days of Staying in Japan after a Long Absence

The first thing that caught my attention when I arrived in Japan about ten days ago after the absence of one year and nine months is general fear. It's something I didn't notice so clearly in my previous visits.

I've been asking myself what so many people seem to be so afraid of, not in order to blame them and/or the society, but out of compassion as they as divine sparks can live without such fear.

My hypothesis is that they are afraid of hurting others as they are afraid of being hurt by others. For the purpose of this double protection the society seems to have developed a very elaborate set of unwritten rules that regulate the speech and action of its "law-abiding" citizens. But these rules can't regulate the thought of the people, to say nothing of their mind and emotions.

This fear-based approach is a "short long way" that reminds me of the teachings of the Musar Movement, which I studied for three years from one of its followers and had to abandon because of their negative effect upon me.

A much healthier "long short way" would be to develop immunity to conflicts in interpersonal relationships as they are inevitable. I believe that the teachings of Hasidism, which are joy-based instead of fear-based, have much to offer to non-Jews, too.

I myself need these teachings now as I already feel that my spiritual energy is being drained constantly in this general atmosphere of fear.

In addition to the official purpose - working at two libraries for my last research project in the area of the practical lexicography of Modern Hebrew - and the "secret mission" of this visit I've imposed upon myself one task - to remain mindful.

When I visited Japan last time with someone who has become my ex-wife in the meanwhile, I remained mindless most of the time, constantly craving for the next dose of alcohol.

My subsequent divorce, which has turned out to be a blessing in disguise as a great teacher of life, has made me become sober for the first time in 37 years and remain so until today.

It was after this fundamental change that I started feeling the effect of my mindfulness practice. I've been able to remain mindful or meta-cognizant of my thoughts and emotions most of the time during this visit so far instead of remaining "asleep" most of the time like last time.