2020-09-18

Arrogance as My Possible Most Fundamental Character Defect

Having worked through the first eight steps of the so-called 12-step program for restoring spiritual sobriety, I've discovered with a shock but with near certainty that one very specific type of arrogance seems to have been my most fundamental character defect that can also explain other character defects of mine as its derivatives and has destroyed many of my interpersonal relationships.

It has also become evident beyond any doubt that this arrogance of mine was - and probably still is, at least unconsciously - directed toward a certain group of people with its rather distinct subgroups. Arrogance produces deep resentments. And these resentments at these people must also have been blocking me.

The person who helped me discover this fundamental character defect of mine strongly advised me to make direct amends with them as a group or subgroups by reaching out for at least some of them as individuals. I still don't know how to do so. The period between Rosh Hashana, which will start this evening, and Yom Kippur, seems be a perfect time to start this long due process of atonement like cleaning a clogged sink.