2021-07-16

Dream State

"When we are in the dream state, we do not know what we are doing. We are simply acting out of deep programming. But once we have seen the true nature of things - once Spirit has opened its eyes within us - we suddenly know what we're doing. There's a much more accurate sense of whether we're moving or speaking or even thinking from truth or not. When we act from a place of untruth anyway, in spite of our knowing, it's much more painful than when we didn’t know our actions were untrue. When we say something to someone that we know is untrue, it causes an inner division that is vastly more painful than when we said the same thing and thought itwas true." - Adyashanti

If I am to define a dream state as a state in which one is totally identified with one's own egoic thoughts, and speaks and behaves accordingly, then many human beings must be in a dream state. I myself had been in such a state and a very deep one at that my entire life until one life challenge woke me up and I gradually started to disidentify myself from my egoic thoughts.

So I know very well how someone who is in a dream state speaks and behaves. I can't say I've completely stopped speaking and behaving this way, but when I do, I can at least detect this quite immediately and prevent my speech and action from being hijacked by my egoic thoughts.

Recently I've started to wonder whether I've really come out of the dream state or I may have come into a much deeper dream state. Though I'm not sure yet, one thing seems certain. I've lost a common "language" with most of the people I know or encounter. I've lost the ability to relate to most of the things I read or hear from most people with the exception of Jewish and non-Jewish nondual masters as they seem nothing but reflections of what now seems to me as illusions of the ego.

I'm quite sure that many people who still remember me in the "classic" dream state find what I say weird. One great consolation is that I'm not suffering at all from loneliness in spite of the seeming sense of separation.

Do I regret coming out of the "classic" dream state then? Not at all, especially because my life then was difficult not only to myself but also to others around me. But my new life hasn't necessarily become easier so far, at least for me, since I came out of this state.

So if my posts in general and this one in particular sound weird to you, please don't blame yourself. ;-) But if they happen to resonate with you, you and I may share the same "language". :-)