2021-11-26

Love of Books and Learning

The very first thing I do whenever I visit someone's house for the first time is to check his personal library if it's located in his living room. I already know at least from my own experience that I belong to the minority. I've noticed that many of the people who have visited my apartment paid little or no attention to my personal library, the active part of which (in the living room) are composed mostly of Hasidic books (as well as dictionaries).

I still don't know if these people are not interested in books in general or the kind of books I keep in particular. But I'm already quite sure that many people I know are not so enthusiastic at least about books for life wisdom, including teachings of Chabad rabbis and non-Jewish non-dual masters.

I have always loved books since I was a small child. For more than 30 years until I stopped my academic activities about three years ago and officially left academia about one year ago, most of the books I read on weekdays were on languages and linguistics; only on Sabbaths I could allow myself to read books in other areas for life wisdom.

I've never read so many books for life wisdom as in the past three years. During this period I've also built a quite respectable library of print books on Chabad Hasidism (in Hebrew, English and Russian) and electronic books on various teachings of non-duality (mostly in English).

As I became more and more absorbed in and enthusiastic about these books, the less people I've come to have to talk with about these books and the teachings they represent.

I wish I were wrong, but many people, including my frum Jewish friends and even some rabbis who are busy with their respective communities, may not be reading (enough) books as a way of life-long learning for the soul.

When I took some online test for checking my core values, I was surprised to discover through this test that my most important core value is learning. But this makes perfect sense to me. I realize now more clearly that I've always loved books since my childhood simply because I've always loved learning. And since I was a child, I've always sensed that learning, especially for the soul, is and must be a life-long process.