2021-12-17

Realization through Contrast

"The words are no more than signposts. That to which they point is not to be found within the realm of thought but a dimension within yourself that is deeper, and infinitely vaster than thought. A vibrantly alive peace is one of the characteristics of that dimension." - Eckhart Tolle

If we lived in light or darkness exclusively, we wouldn't be able to fully realize light and darkness respectively. Some say this is the very reason why our soul descends to this "coarse" physical world (so that it may fully appreciate the Divine light).

Last week I experienced such contrast when I started to share with someone who isn't familiar with Chassidus what little knowledge (and hopefully wisdom, too) I seem to have learned since I was exposed to Chabad Chassidus about four years ago. Then I realized that I'm already deeply immersed in the world of these profound teachings.

This week I experienced another contrast when I started to read a book on the educational philosophy of the Lubavitcher Rebbe which turned out to be an academic book. In spite of this fascinating topic I couldn't continue reading this book past the first chapter. Then I realized that I've already developed some mental allergy to academic books on Judaism, which are generally concerned with intellectual knowledge about Judaism, while sforim are concerned with life wisdom of Judaism.

I wanted to know if this allergy of mine is specific to this particular book or to academic writings on Judaism in general, so I checked presentation summaries of several academic associations of Jewish studies. I was totally amazed to discover what I felt. I also checked similar summaries of a few academic societies of linguistics and had the same discovery.

When I was still in these two worlds until rather recently, I didn't know at all what I didn't know until I started learning Chabad Chassidus. Researchers of Judaism in particular have left me with a very strong impression that they might be confusing a "map" with a "territory". Again through this contrast I've realized that I'm not interested to occupy myself exclusively with such Jewish "maps"; I'd prefer directly experiencing a "territory" however tiny its part I can visit may be.