2022-06-10

Strange Feeling of Wisdom Flowing from Somewhere Else

When I still worked in academia, the greatest torture was writing academic papers-shmapers. I had to wrack my brain for hours to squeeze a few sentences out of it. For this problem it took me as long as ten years to finish writing my PhD dissertation. This constant struggle was a kind of mental constipation (sorry for the expression).

Since I officilly left academia in September 2020, I've started to write about something totally different - life wisdom I've acquired from studying Hasidism and other teachings of non-duality as well as from direct life experiences. I've started to experience with growing intensity a strange feeling as if wisdom I try to share with others flew from somewhere else and I were serving as a mere channel.

In academic writing I seem to have felt that language limits me, while now in this totally new kind of writing I feel that I defy the limitations of language as what I try to do is to verbalize what transcends language. And in the former I think, while in the latter thinking thinks, as it were.

I can only guess why this happens, but the most important thing is that I experience neither torture nor mental constipation any more when i write! This may be an example of what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls "flow" or optimal experience.

I've already experienced such "flow" in an area which has nothing to do with thinking and language (in its conventional sense) - dancing. When I start dancing, waves of my otherwise incessant thinking simply stop completely and my body starts flowing with no mental hindrance.

Based on this prior experience I used to think that "flow" involves transcendence of language, but to my surprise, the experience I've talked about here is closely related to language.