2022-11-18

How to Relate to Those Who Are Spiritually Asleep

If someone is spiritually asleep, he is trapped in the prison of his egoic mind and identified with his physical body and life experiences. And if he is totally asleep, he isn't even aware that he is asleep.

I was such a person until about five years ago. As I started to wake up and gradually started to be identified less and less with the physical body my soul borrows and the life experiences my soul has been undergoing, I've come to encounter a very difficult challenge - how to relate to those who are spiritually asleep.

The toughest part of this very difficult challenge is that there seems to be no way to help them understand intellectually through language that they don't know what they don't know. If someone is unware of his problem, nobody else seems to be able to help him become aware of his problem.

Even after I started to wake up by sheer divine grace, I continued to use the typical language of the ego for years. But recently I decided to stop using it as much as possible as I felt I couldn't continue to deceive myself any more.

This means I have to pay the high price of damaging interpersonal relationships with those who are asleep. There must be a way to avoid this, but I haven't found any so far that I can implement in this difficult life challenge.

The process of waking up can also be explained as a shift from self-consciousness to divine consciousness. If you wake up, you start to feel that you come from Him/Home instead to thinking you are your body and/or your life experiences.

According to the teachings of Chabad Hasidism and other mystical traditions there is a sequel to this shift from self-consciousness to divine consciousness, or from (the illusions of) duality to nonduality. Rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh, the teacher of my ex-teachers of Chabad Hasidism, succinctly explains the fundamental problem of this divine consciousness as follows (and this is a precise description of my present situation!):

Divine consciousness is not the ultimate level. It results in the individual suppressing his human condition and losing himself in the Infinite. As such, his interactions with the mundane world may become objective and detached. He may be critical and judgmental of all that does not fit in with his holy perspective.

The third stage is called rectified consciousness, which is a combination of self-consciousness and divine consciousness just as true nonduality is a combination of duality and nonduality. My understanding of this rectified consciousness remains theoretical so far. I don't know yet how it looks like in practical terms and how I can implement it in my daily life, especially in relating to those who are spiritually asleep.