2023-02-17

We Are (from) Home

When two or more people meet for the first time in Israel (and probably everywhere else in the world, too), one of the most common questions they ask each other is "Where are you from?".

Since I started to notice the self-narrative matrix, I've come to find it both intriguing and frightening to see every time anew that both those who ask and those who are asked assume unconsciously that the question concerns the country (or the city if it's well known) where the body which their respective soul, which is their essence, borrows for a life in this world was born though the question can have multiple meanings.

This self-identification with the body must be the most fundamental and stable part of the narrative matrix about themselves and others these people have.

When I answer this question by saying that I'm from Home, none of these people seems to understand what I mean, at least at first. After I try to explain to them what I mean, some of them say that they are also from Home. But this understanding of theirs is only theoretical, and they haven't internalized this understanding. Otherwise they wouldn't ask this question and wouldn't expect the kind of answer many people give automatically.

It took me many years to come to realize that I'm from Home. I may be able to make the life of myself and those who ask me (and others) this question easier by answering what they expect me (and others) to answer. But I can't deceive myself any more by giving them what I consider an illusional answer.

For this reason it has become more and more difficult for me to be invited to a place where I have to answer this question again and again. What really exhausts me is not only this question itself but what follows afterwards. Those who ask this question don't stop here and continue to ask further questions to categorize and label me (and others). But the time they have finished their "ritual" of "interrogation, they have made in their mind an image (of me and others) that has nothing to do with our essence. The more we know about someone, the less we know them. Somehow I have to find a way to let go of this futile struggle.

Recently I've started to realize that we are not (only?) from Home but are actually Home. I still have and want to continue my spiritual practice to directly experience this.