2023-05-19

Printed Books vs. Electronic Books

Since I was a child, I've been an early adopter of new technologies. The first of these "new" - now obsolete - technologies is a tape recorder. I still have one of the first recordings I made with my new tape recorder. And the still used technologies I adopted much earlier than my friends and acquaintances include email, personal websites, and blogging.

Every time I found a new technology I had adopted useful and worthy of wider recognition, I became its preacher. And every time I tried to preach it, I encountered people who refused to try it and decided stubbornly to stick to an old technology.

I already know that many cases of such stubbornness of these people stem from their sheer ignorance of new technologies as well as their tacis blind faith that they as users of time-honored technologies are superior to those who jump to emerging technologies.

In some cases I've also identified some kind of fetishism. One excellent example of this seeming fetishism is that of printed books vis-à-vis electronic books. I still continue to encounter otherwise learned people who refuse to try the latter. This is a pity as they don't know what they miss.

It's true that printed books have a few advantages electronic books don't have. One of them, at least for me, is that the former can affect my vibration with their very physical presence in my library. This is especially the case for me with Jewish books. I feel totally different now when I'm surrounded with Hasidic books from when I still kept academic books in the active part of my personal library in the living room. I also need certain Jewish books in a printed form for Sabbath observance.

Otherwise, I prefer electronic books for the ease of storage, portability and readability. I can only keep only up to about 1,200 printed books and I've already reached this maximum. Every time I buy a new printed book, I have to make a thorny decision of taking out one existing one for "adoption".

When it comes to electronic books, the storage space isn't a problem for all intents and purposes in our age. Recently the number of electronic books I have has reached 5,000, and this number is growing every week, if not every day.

The biggest advantage of electronic books for me is their readability, or to be more precise, their listenability. When a book I want to read is on some spiritual, that is, suprarational, topic rather than a rational, e.g., academic, topic, I can understand and absorb its content much better by listening to it than by reading it.

I've been using a free Windows program called Balabolka for converting electronic books in EPUB format to voice on the fly or to an external MP3 file so that I may listen to it with an external MP3 player while on the go. This way I've "read" literally hundreds of books in the past five years since I decided to leave academia. I don't think I could do this with printed books.