2023-12-01

Blind Love vs. True Love

How would you react if you should suspect that someone who is dear to you is committing a morally unacceptable act? Would you check the issue until you confirm or dispel your suspicion, or would you pretend as if nothing happened and simply ignore the suspicion? And how would you react if your suspicion should be confirmed? Would you rebuke that person, or would you pretend as if nothing happened and simply ignore the confirmed suspicion?

About a month ago I started to suspect that some organization that had helped me a lot has been committing one morally unacceptable act. So I shared this suspicion of mine with someone I considered a close friend of mine who still belongs to this organization. Then he said goodbye to me.

Since then I continued investigating this issue, until I confirmed this suspicion. I shared this confirmed suspicion this week with someone else I also considered a good friend of mine who still belongs to this same organization. He also said goodbye to me.

I never expected such a reaction as we discussed about almost every topic under the sun. But thanks to this same reaction of them I also had an unexpected chance to think about what true love is.

I know that this organization is very dear to them, but their love for it seems more like blind love than true love. And this blind love of theirs seems to stem from blind faith in this organization.

I already know from my prior experiences that any rational proof that can discredit their blind faith will only make them stubborn and they will even start accusing me as a traitor. Since they don't know what they don't know and aren't even open to new ideas, I'm left with no choice but to reciprocate them by saying goodbye to them, though only in my mind like them, and walk away from them, wishing that they would someday have true love for this organization.

I strongly believe that true love is to rebuke the person or organization that is dear to you when they commit some morally unacceptable act even by paying the price of losing friends. Actually, such people who are so quick to say goodbye to me in such a situation don't seem to have ever been my true friends. This was my (and their) illusion.