2020-04-10

Disconnection and Disassociation from Sources of Negativity

I wonder how you've been coping with the present pandemic the whole humankind has been experiencing simultaneously. Personally I also take it as a precious opportunity to reexamine my life and reclaim my true self. One of the things I've been doing in this respect is to disconnect or at least disassociate myself from sources of negativity.

Ideally, I would neutralize such sources of negativity if they are human beings. But unfortunately, my present level of consciousness isn't high enough to do so. I'm afraid that instead of neutralizing them I might end up getting infected with their negativity.

Negativity can take a number of forms. Outright negativity is easy to identify and keep away from. Two of the subtler forms of negativity are narcissism and stupidity.

Narcissism can take not only an outright form but also subtler ones. Whatever form it takes, it has a negative effect, first and foremost, on the narcissists themselves. The main problem is that they bloat their ego through their narcissistic thought, speech and action, and the bloated ego is a sure way to cause sufferings to themselves.

To the best of my knowledge, Chabad Hasidism teaches that stupidity, or inability to tell what is important from what is unimportant, is a "fertile ground" for the flourishing of the ego and can also befall otherwise clever people. The result is the same as that of narcissism.