2020-05-08

Finally Switching to a Smartphone

As more and more seem to have less and less patience (and ability) to use email for written online communication in favor of WhatsApp and other messengers, I finally switched to a smartphone this Sunday in order to make myself more accessible for others, including not only my friends and acquaintances but even strangers.

Once I started using my new Android smartphone, I totally forgot all the psychological barriers that had blocked me to switch to this technology. Now I see far more benefits than disadvantages.

I'm reconfirming the same pattern I've been following since my childhood every time I take a great interest in something. I have to investigage it as thoroughly as possible both quantitatively and qualitatively. I'm already quite familiar with Android and its hidden settings and functions.

I also like to search and try various software programs, and this is also what I've been doing with Android after immediately disabling Google, Chrome and Facebook applications (yes, I've disabled them to protect my online privacy (Google and Chrome applications) and prevent distraction (Facebook application; unfortunately, Android doesn't allow me to uninstall them). The following is the list of the applications I've tried and decided to keep using:

I've also immediate installed and started using the desktop version of Signal and WhatsApp as it's much faster and far more convenient for me to type with a computer keyboard.

There is one rule I've imposed upon myself in my use of a smartphone - the same rule I've imposed upon myself in my use of a computer. It's not to check email, messengers and news websites in the morning before I finish davening.