2021-09-10

Letting Go of Expectations

I've started to make a conscious effort to let go of my expectations, especially from others, as they guarantee my disappointments, then sufferings afterwards. These expectations generally stem from my egoic mind and are often based on the assumption that I know what is best for me (and others), which is nothing but a reflection of my lack of humility.

Naturally, this is easier said than done. I still have a long way to go to fully let go of my expectations from others, especially those who still belong to the social collectives I used to belong to before starting to undergo some inner transmutation.

It seems to me that I see in them what I used to be. I can't always stand to watch them make what seem to me the same mistakes I used to make. But on the other hand, I realize that if someone who left one of the "caves" I was trapped in expected me to think and behave differently, I might not be able to understand him at all.

I also realize that I can help others change themselves at best, but will never be able to change anyone directly, especially to my liking, nor do I have such a right.

But old habits die hard. I'm still struggling with the temptation to expect those who are still in the same "caves" where I used to live to change. I've devised one temporary precautionary measure to overcome this temptation by simply putting myself in such a position in which I don't encounter it in the first place. This isn't the healthiest way, but it seems to work wonderfully so far.

If I am not to expect anything from anyone, how am I suppoded to respond instead in my interpersonal relationships with others (and myself)? One former teacher of mine in Chabad Chassidus recently gave me one important clue to this in one of his recenly online lectures about psychological modesty. I still want/have to try this brilliant teaching of his before I share it with others.