2024-02-02

Additional Educational Initiative in the New Place

One of my boyhood dreams was to become a polyglot. Since then I've learned 12 foreign languages and become fluent in four of them, so I can probably say that I've realized this dream of mine.

Later in my life something I hadn't even dreamed of happened. I fell in love with Hebrew, which was one of these 12 languages, and decided to dedicate my life to its study. I ended up receiving my PhD in Hebrew linguistics from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and then even tenure in Hebrew linguistics at another Israeli university.

Something even less expected happened afterwards. I decided to leave this tenured position of my own free will and started spreading through language what transcends language, first in Israel, then in this new place after leaving Israel at the end of September 2023.

Though I had no appetite for teaching languages per se, I continued to look for some way to make the best use of my experiences of learning and researching languages (and linguistics) for many years, until I had two fateful encounters in this new place in the middle of last month.

When I visited the local library of this new place to see if I could participate in some group of volunteers, I saw many high school students studying there in silence. Some of them must have been studying English. I was sorry for them as I felt they were wasting their precious time learning English in an inefficent manner. Then I was reminded of one method I encountered about 44 years ago when I was in their age.

Thanks to this method, my proficiency in English made a dramatic program. As I continued to study 11 more languages as an undergraduate, then graducate student in three universities, I applied this method of learning foreign languages to the study of all these languages and became fluent in four of them, which were (and still are) important to me. I didn't want to invest the equal amount of my time and energy in the study of the rest of the languages I studied as they were less important. Now I'm applying this method to my renewed study of Russian - my most beloved language.

I never told about this method to anyone else. At the same library later on the same day I had an even more fateful encounter. I stumbled upon a book that explains in a very convincing manner with evidential proofs why this method works. It's based on the principles of the so-called neuroplasticity. I felt a sudden urge to share it with these high school students as well as adults.

There must be many people who teach English and other major languages here (and elsewhere in the world), but I wonder how many people teach how to learn foreign languages by rewiring our brain. With this in mind I launched an additional educational initiative called "Multilingual Brain".


Website
Блог на русском