2024-08-02

My Morning Routine

Since I was a small child, I've known empirically that I'm the most productive in early mornings. Except for some exceptional years as a graduate student I've been getting up at five in the morning on weekdays (and going to bed at eleven at night).

Not only when I still taught in the university but also since I left it, I've been starting my work at eight in the morning. I need about three hours for preparing myself to start a new workday in a spiritually, mentally and physically fully charged condition, which is why I get up at five in the morning.

When I tell this to others, most of them, especially night owls, are surprised and ask me why I need three hours. As far as I'm concerned, I don't feel three hours are such a long period of time. They are the bare minimum for me! Anyway, here is my morning routine on weekdays:

  • 05:00-05:30: contemplation
  • 05:30-05:40: reflection
  • 05:40-06:00: meditation
  • 06:00-06:30: prayer
  • 06:30-06:45: bodyweight strenghth training
  • 06:45-07:15: running
  • 07:15-07:30: shower
  • 07:30-08:00: breakfast

The first hour of the day is my most favorite time of the day every day, and it's also my most productive time of the day. So I spend this hour, engaged in what sets the tone for the rest of the day. I learn the following materials from the teachings of Chabad Chassidus for contemplation:

Then I use the following, also from the teachings of Chabad Chassidus, as well as other materials from my favorite nondual masters for reflection:

My morning routine on Sabbaths is different not only because I can't check electronic and online materials but also because of a totally different, related atmosphere. I spend the first hour of every Sabbath before prayer studying one chapter of the first part of the Tanya in the original Hebrew together with its English or Russian translation and commentaries in English or Hebrew:

Since this first part has 53 chapters, I can finish it in one year. I've already been studying this "written Torah of Chassidus" for several years - first daily, now weekly.


Website
Блог на русском