2022-05-20

Complementary (Passive) Use of Multiple Social Media Platforms

It's about one month since I stopped using Facebook as a means of personal communication, that is, I stopped posting updates on my personal ("profile") page on Facebook, deleted all the past posts and unfriended everyone equally. But I still continue to use Facebook not only for my business page there for advertising and also for about 200 other business pages for spiritual and cultural nourishment. The three main categories of the business pages I follow for this purpose are Chabad Hasidism, nondual spirituality, and culture of one country I'm falling in love with anew.

I don't miss my previous active use of Facebook for personal communication as I had few meaningful communication there. Since my personal use of Facebook became passive, I've restored my daily peace of mind and realized how much damage that meaningless personal "communication" caused to my mind. I don't miss personal updates by other users as many of them were for instant gratifications.

After this meaningful shift in my use of Facebook I started using, of course only passively, two other social media platforms - Twitter and Telegram channels.

I never imagined I would use Twitter because of its terrible *eftist censorship. But on the very day when Elon Musk announced his acquision of this social media platform I decided to join it, hoping he would change the very nature of Twitter and its algorithm. I only follow about 20 individuals, organizations and companies to receive warnings about online privacy and freedom. I especially appreciate tweets by Elon Musk and Glenn Greenwald. I myself don't tweet.

Telegram is an instant messanger, but its channels serve as a social media platform, which I use complementarily for the so-called investigative journalism as I've lost my trust in mainstream media outlets because of their covert censorship and bias. I only follow about ten individuals, including The Duran, The Grayzone, The New Atlas, and Truth In The News.

I'm also waiting for the opening of Truth Social to users outside North America and of Android. I've already made a list of about ten conservative politicians and political commentators I admire I'd like to follow in this new social media platform.

Making complementary use of multiple social media platforms for different purposes helps me keep another type of mental health. For example, when I only want to nourish my mind, I only check Facebook. Here is a summary of this complementary passive use:

  • Facebook business pages: Chabad Hasidism, nondual spirituality, and culture of one country I'm falling in love with anew
  • Twitter: online privacy and freedom
  • Telegram channels: investigative journalism
  • Truth Social: political conservatism