2023-09-01

What I've Come to Realize When I've Become Aware That My Days in Jerusalem Are Numbered

I feel that the less remaining days I have to live in Jerusalem, the keener my perception of reality becomes. What I used to perceive as black and white now looks full-colored.

One of the most important things that I've come to realize as a result is who and what are truly important to me and to whom I don't seem to be important enough. I have no time to waste for trifles and those who don't appreciate my time and presence, who are the most precious gifts I can give to those who are dear to me. For the first time in my life I'm becoming a "human being" rather than a "human doing".

I've also come to see so clearly the state of consciousness of those I know and even those I meet for the first time. When I meet them, I immediately sense their spiritual vibe. For this purpose conceptual knowledge about them only disturbs my perception. As Eckhart Tolle says, knowing about someone is one thing, and knowing them is another.

This leads me to realize more clearly than ever that most "human doings" are suffering from one collective sickness called the mind-made prison, which is caused by language. Many people have lost the ability to relate to reality without conceptualizing it with language in the form of labeling, whether they verbalize labels in speech or only in their thought.

On the one hand, this life challenge with all its implications including the above has made my relationship with certain people much closer than before, but on the other hand, I've realized that I have nothing in common with some of those whom I considered my friends.

Since I made this fateful decision to leave Jerusalem and decided to flow by following the mission that chose me, I've been learning a series of very important life lessons, some of which simply seem too much to digest. But I also feel that this is a true test in real life for all the teachings of Chabad Chassidus I've learned in the past five years, first formally at a special school in Jerusalem, then by myself.