2024-03-29

Use(fulness) of Parallel Texts for Language Learning

Several years ago I realized the usefulness of parallet texts for language learning and have started using them to improve my Russian, though not so systematically. This method of language learning seems more common in Russia than the other countries I've visited, at least considering the quantity of such texts in major bookstores in Moscow.

In my continued daily and weekly study of Chabad Chassidus I use such parallel texts in the Hebrew (and Yiddish) original and its Russian translation. What I like best (and continue to read every weekday and every Sabbath respectively) are two of the Chabad classics - Tanya (printed version / free online version) and Hayom yom (printed version / free online version).

From the next week I'm finally starting my long-year project to read some of my most favorite books in English in parallel with their respective translations in Russian (online list).

One of the greatest benefits of parallel texts is that you get the exact equivalents in the source and target languages in every specific context, assuming that the translations are precise.

Hopefully, this method of continuing to learn Russian, together with work with a private teacher, among others, will help me improve my Russian. I haven't been more highly motivated than now to raise my level of proficiency in both written and spoken Russian.


Website
Блог на русском